Bob's TDM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes

+4
RoboReptile
OldRavensFan
dexon
Ablationer
8 posters

Go down

Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes Empty Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes

Post  Ablationer February 19th 2015, 11:07 pm

I've noticed a rather steep learning curve for newbies where it's pretty much impossible to figure out crafting and gems and all that without some kind of tutorial or explanation from another member.

Honestly, I'd prefer if it was simpler, and easier to figure out. That said, with the way things are, it'd be a pain to change everything, that's why I'm going to be doing something big later on this year. Probably around summer or something.

First of all, there's a few things I need to know: How do you feel about getting rid of gems altogether? My plan is to make it so everything simply costs money, and you have to meet certain requirements beforehand but other than that crafting would be relatively simple and straight-forward, while still offering the same range of mods and customization, with fancier mods costing significantly more than more common ones.
Ablationer
Ablationer
AKA Bob Frenchman

https://bobszrp.forumactif.com

Back to top Go down

Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes Empty Re: Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes

Post  dexon February 19th 2015, 11:18 pm

La taxe va empêcher d'avoir plus d'argent qu'en ce moment. rip
Mais, perso, je serais pour. Mais si yavait un UI genre, menu de crafting à la place sa serait chill aussi.
dexon
dexon
Admin

http://dexontech.net

Back to top Go down

Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes Empty Re: Long term project to streamline the server and other major changes

Post  OldRavensFan February 20th 2015, 12:11 am

Gems are a great reward for combat. So if crafting is just cash, what's the incentive?

And no offense, but wasting a few gems helps you understand WHY they work, not just how.
OldRavensFan
OldRavensFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ablationer February 20th 2015, 12:23 am

dexon wrote:La taxe va empêcher d'avoir plus d'argent qu'en ce moment. rip
Mais, perso, je serais pour. Mais si yavait un UI genre, menu de crafting à la place sa serait chill aussi.
ciboire dexon parle en anglais, mais oui c ca l'idée, pis j'enlèverais la tax

OldRavensFan wrote:Gems are a great reward for combat. So if crafting is just cash, what's the incentive?

And no offense, but wasting a few gems helps you understand WHY they work, not just how.
The incentive is that fancier stuff would be expensive as hell but money would play a far bigger part, even in rewards and stuff.

The problem is that they can't get the damned thing to work to begin with, I haven't seen one single person figure out the crafting system on their own so far, and that's bad.
Ablationer
Ablationer
AKA Bob Frenchman

Back to top Go down

Post  RoboReptile February 20th 2015, 12:27 am

Some people find money boring. Having gems and certain things people like to trade add the actual trading.

This will turn into steam market.

In another hand some people want removal of gems for easier access to things. Not quite sure how to put together the downside of this...

I'm not sure which one I would go with.
RoboReptile
RoboReptile

Back to top Go down

Post  RoboReptile February 20th 2015, 12:30 am

Ablationer wrote:
The incentive is that fancier stuff would be expensive as hell but money would play a far bigger part, even in rewards and stuff.

The problem is that they can't get the damned thing to work to begin with, I haven't seen one single person figure out the crafting system on their own so far, and that's bad.

I just finished my post. heh.

If it's really a struggle for newbies to understand the crafting system...Maybe do the money thing for awhile. See if that increases newbies staying.

I mean it is the same. You still craft like normal but money is more common and modding is the same price (25k per sapphire mod, like you actually would).

I actually have a few ideas for this but it's a bit late now.
RoboReptile
RoboReptile

Back to top Go down

Post  jtmj23 February 20th 2015, 1:28 am

If you did this it would practically like starting fresh wouldn't it? And either way, You said you haven't seen a single person learn on their own, that's what server greeters and stuff are for right? I think that if we did do this we would somehow manage a way to add gems back in just like how you keep adding gems over time just thinking of new ideas.
jtmj23
jtmj23

Back to top Go down

Post  The Original RaptorJesus February 20th 2015, 7:40 am

I would be fine with getting rid of gems altogether and money would be the basis of the server's economy, but than again that's one of the reasons that separates your server from other DarkRP servers that are there. It removes one of the reasons the server is unique. Throughout greeting, many people thought that when I brang up gems as an element, they were interested, quite interested. Also, why not make one of those daily server news shit announcements in the chat? Someone could make a video and you could put the link in that announcement for newbies to learn from about gem crafting. That could ease the steep learning curve.

stop speaking french you fegs

Edit: I swear to my raptor god if you don't introduce wiremod if the money becomes the new system to replace gems and I can't make auto collectors, I will shank a bitch with a rubber duck

The Original RaptorJesus

Back to top Go down

Post  jtmj23 February 20th 2015, 9:41 am

The Original RaptorJesus wrote:Also, why not make one of those daily server news shit announcements in the chat? Someone could make a video and you could put the link in that announcement for newbies to learn from about gem crafting.
He already did this. If you haven't noticed there is a whole post explaining what each gem does and how to use them.
jtmj23
jtmj23

Back to top Go down

Post  Ablationer February 20th 2015, 2:27 pm

My concern is that, when we only have a couple of gems and mods and items, that's all fine and swell. But the more shit we have, the more complicated and lengthy the whole process becomes, that's why I want to streamline everything.

If I do keep the gems, then I'll certainly at least have to redo the inventory system, or something.
Ablationer
Ablationer
AKA Bob Frenchman

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRavensFan February 20th 2015, 2:29 pm

Ablationer wrote:My concern is that, when we only have a couple of gems and mods and items, that's all fine and swell. But the more shit we have, the more complicated and lengthy the whole process becomes, that's why I want to streamline everything.

If I do keep the gems, then I'll certainly at least have to redo the inventory system, or something.

Will you then give us a time period where we can "scrap" our gems for cash? Say, 5k a pop or something?
OldRavensFan
OldRavensFan

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyron February 20th 2015, 11:12 pm

I. Am drunk currently but I don't mind Cuz I'll Her bu why what I do
Pyron
Pyron

Back to top Go down

Post  dexon February 20th 2015, 11:13 pm

Aight, good talk man.
dexon
dexon
Admin

http://dexontech.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Zail February 20th 2015, 11:47 pm

Well gems are a bit of a mess, but turning everything into cash wouldn't be good in my opinion because having everything money base kind of removes the variety of combat and even rewards, just getting cash every kill or getting cash every event just seems bland, i'm sure it'd probably be 10 times easier on you but I would not recommend getting rid of them.
I still recommend making them rarer just makes combat more fun and makes you want to do it even more to get that one gem your looking for
Zail
Zail

Back to top Go down

Post  Ablationer February 21st 2015, 2:39 am

the problem with making them rarer is that for someone like you zail it's easy to get gems so you already have a ton, but I've often heard people say they couldn't get gems because everyone kept killing them and they couldn't do anything about it, so it's kind of a vicious cycle. The only thing I can do is make fancier stuff cost a shit ton more gems. So that 1 gem can still be useful to a newbie ish player, while high-end players like you still need many for other shit
Ablationer
Ablationer
AKA Bob Frenchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zail February 21st 2015, 6:17 am

Well yes I know its just, its how i got addicted because everything was so challenging, hard to get gems, hard to get use to combat,
I understand making it easier for newer players and stuff because they want to experience the most of what they can in a short duration and feel like they are on even ground, its hard to combine them both because players these days are fairly impatient, its why everyone nags for events because they don't want to do the work for it
They can get gems through gem ores shrines even capturing the points or the hourly gem. The only reason they struggle is because they don't want to put effort towards farming
Maybe buff the starter pack? as in adding a few gems, and giving the guns they contain an amethyst boost like 30 minutes on each gun so they don't just pop them out and lose them
it'll give them a chance to let them see that they lost a minute in chat and so they get a chance to realize where the timer is and how long they got left.
This still leaves out the part on what to do with the current impatient players finding another way.. Sleep
Zail
Zail

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyron February 21st 2015, 10:01 am

i think at least everyone should have a sense of knowing when it's a bunch of new guys everyone who's a regular on the server should give them an easier chance, do what I do, use basic pistols and don't go hardass on them to encourage them. Killing a guy with respected or a face over their head could give a moral boost, Cuz is like, whoa! I killed a guy who looked tough!
Pyron
Pyron

Back to top Go down

Post  Ablationer February 21st 2015, 12:34 pm

pyron is right

i very often have to tell people to cut the newbies some slack, including you zail
Ablationer
Ablationer
AKA Bob Frenchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Zail February 21st 2015, 4:55 pm

I tend to do, but when there's another person whose like spamming skaarj with a fatman or something stupid like that or a Heavy unit job where the newer players dont stand a chance I kind of have to take them out
Zail
Zail

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down